Site Review Scores

Thursday, March 18, 2021

Introduction

Introduction

Who am I?

I’m an Electric Vehicle (EV) enthusiast from the metro Detroit area and the new owner of possibly the only Kia Niro EV, all electric SUV, in the Midwest sharing my adventures of owning an all electric vehicle in Michigan. 


What will this blog cover?

This blog will cover my research leading up to the purchase, charging trips, charger site reviews, EV News and hopefully some road trips!


Why did I choose a KIA Niro EV?

I was looking for an affordable, all-electric vehicle with good range and styling that I could keep for a long time and withstand the cold Michigan winters.


What other vehicle did I consider?

1) Tesla Model 3, or Model Y – These are too expensive, and parts and service are tied to Tesla.

2) Chevy Bolt (current gen) – These cars are too small, and I didn’t like their styling.

3) Chevy Bolt EUV – I almost waited for this one, but it would have been another 6 months at least and these are still limited by the current Bolt battery pack for range and charging speed.

4) Hyundai Kona (sister car to the Niro) – The Kona ends up being a little smaller, and again, I wasn't a fan of the styling.

5) Ford Mach-E – Like the Tesla, these are too expensive, and I don’t agree with them using the Mustang name for this vehicle.

6) Audi E-Tron – Too expensive

7) Nissan Leaf Plus – The lack of thermal management on the battery and the poor styling kept me away from this car.

8) VW ID.4 – Another EV I almost waited for. This one was also past my price point, and overall, I just don’t like the interior or exterior design of the new VW electric cars.


A little about my Kia Niro EV:

2019 Niro EV EX Premium in Soft White Pearl, with the Cold Weather Package

My wife named her “Elektra”

(Full review blog post, coming soon)


What else do I drive:

2018 Honda Accord Hybrid in Touring trim

2013 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible in 1LT trim


What resources did I use to determine the right car for me?

(All of the following have great coverage on the Kia Niro EV.)

https://www.ev-olution.ca


Europe is a bigger market for the Kia Niro EV than the USA, so many resources come from across the pond:

https://misterev.co.uk

https://www.youtube.com/c/FinlandTony/featured


What applications do I use? 

A Better Route Planner (https://abetterrouteplanner.com)

Plug Share (https://www.plugshare.com)


2 comments:

  1. what is the reason for not getting a range extender?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already drive a hybrid Accord. I wanted to go all electric to be completely free from gas and to show that it can be done even with the current limited infrastructure.

      Delete

Introduction

Introduction Who am I? I’m an Electric Vehicle (EV) enthusiast from the metro Detroit area and the new owner of possibly the only Kia Niro E...