Site Review Scores

Thursday, August 12, 2021

Free DC Fast Chargers

 

Update 11/2022

The Top Golf location has been converted to a Volta Level 2 location.

Introduction

I will be providing another 2-for-1 review, covering 2 sites within 10 miles of each other.  They have different layouts and features, but both offer charging at no cost.  That’s right, the mythical free DC fast charge!

 

Business/Location Name

Topgolf

Address

500 Great Lakes Crossing Dr, Auburn Hills, MI 48326

Network

Volta

Station Details

2 - 10kW (Level 2)

Cost

Free

Saturday May 8th, I wanted to cover stops on the I-75 corridor, this time in the northern Detroit suburbs. 

This Top Golf location is right off I-75 near the Great Lakes Shopping complex.

 










Accessibility

This station is at the north end of the Topgolf parking lot.  I-75 exit 83, south on Joslyn Rd and then west on Great Lakes Crossing Dr.  The second right will bring you directly into the Topgolf parking lot.  The single charger is placed closer to the building entrance, so there is a strong chance that cars that aren’t charging would park in these spots.  Since the parking is nose in, there is no pull through parking for anyone pulling a trailer.

 Amenities

There isn’t anything within walking distance, you’re limited to Topgolf.  You would likely only charge here if you were already going to Topgolf or reviewing charge sites like I do for this blog.  Since the charger is free, you just may have to put up with a lack of food/shopping options to get some free electrons.

Concentration

As a free destination type charger, one unit is sufficient.  I was lucky that the ID.4 that had been using the charger was pulling away as I arrived, so I didn’t have to wait.  I guess time will tell, as the electrical car purchases increase, so will the use of this charging station.

Location

If you consider this site a destination site and not a travel corridor charging stop, then the location is pretty good.  Even as a travel corridor site, being just off the I-75 exit makes it a well-placed site.

Speed

This is a 48kW Tritium charger.  It won’t win any awards for charging speed but might set the bar for destination charging.  Compared to a normal Level 2 destination charging solution, this charger could give you significant charge in quick 30- minute visit.



Summary

Ever since I started looking at electric cars, I had heard about ‘free’ chargers, but this was my first time to actually find one that worked at DC fast charging speeds.  While I wouldn’t plan on using this charger as part of a trip, if I was in the area and had time to spare, I would definitely take advantage of the free charge.

What I paid for this stop:

Total Cost: $0.00

Total kWh: 11.76

Time: 16 minutes

Average Charge Speed: 45.23 kW (Calculated)

Cost per kWh: $0.00

Total Score (Max 44)

Score Percentage

Accessibility Total

Amenities Total

Concentration

Location

Speed

26

60

6

8

6

3

3


Meijer - Auburn Mile Shopping Center

Note: The 1st generation units shown in the pictures here have been updated with Jule 2nd generation units as of November 2022.

Business/Location Name

Meijer - Auburn Mile Shopping Center

Address

800 Brown Rd, Auburn Hills, MI 48326

Network

Jule

Station Details

2 - 62.5kW Stations

Cost

Free

Saturday May 8th, After my Topgolf stop, I headed to the other side of the freeway to review another free charger.  This site is provided by the network Jule.



Accessibility

This station is located behind the Meijer gas station, adjacent to a Tesla Supercharger location.  I-75 exit 83, north on Joslyn Rd and then west on Brown Rd.  A left at the first light on Brown Rd. will bring you into the Meijer parking lot.  The dual charger setup is in the middle of the parking lot; away from where people would usually park.  Since the parking is nose in, there is no pull-through parking for anyone pulling a trailer.

Amenities

The Auburn Mile Shopping Center offers plenty of amenities.  There are the previously mentioned Meijer and Meijer Gas Station and a Target and Joann Fabrics for shopping.  Food options include a Panda Express and an Olive Garden.

Concentration

Two DC fast chargers and 4 level 2 chargers provide a reasonable layout for this location…provided they are all working.  The day I visited, I only got one of the two chargers to work and per the earlier note, now the entire site is offline.  If this site is trying to service the heavily travelled I-75 corridor, there is some room for improvement.

Location

The layout of this site and proximity to the Tesla Supercharger make this site an ideal travel stop, not a destination stop.  At just 0.7 miles from the freeway, it’s a simple on and off stop.  This is another site that unless you knew it was there and were looking for it, it’s not visible from the road.  No signage within the parking lot helps drivers to find this location either.

Speed

Various apps claim these to be 150kW chargers.  Based on the state of charge in Elektra on this visit, I have no way to confirm this.  If these chargers truly support this speed, this would make for a good quick stop along this popular North/South travel route.

Summary

When I arrived at this site, I pulled up to the right-hand side charger (Named Alice).  I had read on the app that this charger was not working, but I decided to check for myself.  Plugging in and trying to start charging only resulted in continuous errors.  With no screen and only simple lights, there was no way to tell what was wrong.  My guess is that the old connector on this unit was not making a good connection.  Moving to the left charger (Named Tanya) gave a good connection and a successful charge.  This site is definitely still in beta phase, and I would recommend that you check the availability on PlugShare before planning to use this site.

What I paid for this stop:

Total Cost: $0.00

Total kWh: ???

Time: ???

Average Charge Speed: ???

Cost per kWh: $0.00

(With no app, or other interface, you are dependent on recording your own data, and I didn’t capture my statistics at the time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction

Introduction Who am I? I’m an Electric Vehicle (EV) enthusiast from the metro Detroit area and the new owner of possibly the only Kia Niro E...